Tuesday, April 30, 2019

11 Ways to Reduce Your Plastic Footprint

This year my New Years resolution has been to reduce my  consumption. If you have been online and seen  the many pictures of plastic choking our oceans, you might be as outraged as I am.  So I have decided to reuse and reduce my consumer goods footprint.  Here are my top 10 tips for reducing plastic and other waste.

1. Buy bulk
Our local health food store has lots of items in bulk.  So I have save my old clean jars and take them with me to the store.  I can have them weighed and refilled and thus save all the packaging.  Items I buy in bulk include dried nuts, seeds, beans, fruit, flour, rice, chocolate chips, spices, tea, and grains.

2. Start a co-op
We have started a co-op with friends to share eco friendly laundry detergent and dish soap.  We purchased large 5 gallon buckets online and sell refills to our friends at cost.  Thus, not only do we refill our plastic bottles, we spread the love throughout our community and lo and behold, we are all saving money.  The large 5 gallon bucket can then be used for gardening, storage ect. for years before going to the landfill.

3. Water
So many stores offer refillable water stations where one can purchase filtered water and refill existing containers.  Need containers? Thrift stores are great places to buy second hand growlers.

4. Beer
Same as water - refilling a growler at your local craft brewery becoming a widely available option.  They will refill any clean growler so again look for them at your local Goodwill.

5. Reuse or eliminate plastic shopping and produce bags
Tote bags are a no brainer - keep some in the car at all times so you can take them shopping.  Also, for most items which are already packaged, I just skip the bag and carry the item.  Plastic bags can also be reused over and over.  I will often take my produce bags to the store with me for multiple or wet produce as 1 piece of fruit doesn't need a bag.  In addition, lots of reusable bags veggie bags are hitting the market.  I have yet to try these but plan to this year.

6.  Make your own
One of the easiest ways to eliminate packaging is to make your own.  I make veggie stock in the crockpot with all my veggie scraps, I brew my own kombucha in glass container acquired from the thrift store, I can and freeze veggies that I grow and purchase at the farmers market. I put them all in containers that I reuse over and over again.

7.  Thrift Everything
Thrift stores are a great place to find lots of stuff - dishes, flowerpots, yoga pants, ball jars etc.  Why buy new when you can reuse?  Remember to refuse the bag or take your own.  We even have a craft thrift store in town called "Who Gives a Scrap".  Also donate your reusable items to keep them out of the landfill.

8. Farmers Market
A great place to reuse packaging you already have like egg cartons. plastic cherry tomato containers, plastic produce bags.

9.  Garden
Growing your own organic herbs means you do not have to buy them in those heinous plastic containers! Even a small outdoor space provides gardening opportunities. Dirt, compose and  mulch can all be purchased in bulk so I avoid buying these in plastic. Seriously contact a local farm and go get some manure to add to your compost.  You don't need to buy it wrapped in plastic.

10.  Get out of the single use mindset
Is it really that hard to wash dishes and cutlery?  Cups? Glasses?  Even if you are entertaining, single use hospitality items are such a waste.

11.  Presents for good.
Rethink gifts.  Most of us have to much crap anyway.  Make a donation to a non profit.  Make your own gifts with upcycled materials.  Give gifts with little or no packaging.  Wrap gifts in old newspapers or reusuable boxes.



No comments:

Post a Comment